Thursday 19 March 2009

how sounds can induce emotion

last night whilst listening to Radio 4, I heard a tune. It filled me with excitement and expectation. It reminded me of being young, sitting in the lounge of our old house in Nazeing. The world instantly felt better and life was obviously going to be filled with wonder.

the tune? The old Formula One intro music from the BBC! It's back on the beeb again this year and to say that I'm glad that they decided to use the same music would be an understatement!

it's the small things.

2 comments:

Paul Burgin said...

But its not just theme tunes, its familar sayings as well. Recently, for the first time in years, I saw an episode of Bagpuss, and it amazed me that I remembered most of the familar storytelling (the little songs the mice did about mending things, the poem Emily would recite to wake up Bagpuss), but also felt that warm cozy glow you sometimes get when you revisit such programmes

Imyril said...

Snap! I've been coming home knackered and frowning (much to boy's disgust), and I'd slumped in my chair the other night while he (bless him) busied in the kitchen. And the music came on, and I just couldn't help but grin.

FORMULA 1 IS BACK! ON THE BBC!

YAY!

Even if I have The Chain on mp3 and never choose to listen to it, it still makes me wildly happy in itself, and in this context.