this year in particular has been better than I could have wished but, after the last couple of years, I've really just been getting through each day at a time and haven't had the ability to think about the future and make plans.
being here in Chicago and working on the campaign has made me remember how much I love politics, and turning 30 has led me to think about my long-term career goals. These things are linked. I've been saying for a few years that my dream job would be Communications Director for the Labour Party, and I now feel like I'm at a point where I can start planning how to get the experience to get there. Living out here, even for such a short time, has also solidified a thought I've had for years about working and living in America at some-point properly.
so - here are some of my goals, in no particular order, for the next 10 years:
- study for a degree - probably in Politics and Communication
- network more at home, both business-wise and politically
- get my EMBA, hopefully at LBS
- live and work in America for at least a year
- get more involved in the Labour Party
- see more of my friends, keep the ones I have and meet more
- build on my career successes this year
- spend time on me and keep myself healthy
it's funny - because having written the above list, I've noticed that meeting the right guy and having a family are not there. I do want to do these things, but feel that if I spend my time focusing on the things I can affect, then these things will fall into place. This reminds me of the Serenity Prayer:
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
that's me right now. Life is good, it will continue to get better and I'm looking forward to the future in way that I never have before.